Saint Sebastian’s was last assessed by OFSTED in 2014. The inspectors were very positive about the performance and improvements at the school and rated Saint Sebastian’s as a good school under the new inspection framework. The Governors and Leadership Team are working closely with Wokingham Borough Council and the Oxford Diocesan Board of Education to moving the school nearer to being outstanding.
Please click on this link for our last Ofsted report.
Highlights from the report include:
- Teaching is good, and pupils are eager to learn. The curriculum is well matched to the needs and interests of the pupils and pupils learn well and make good progress throughout the school.
- Pupils’ progress in reading is consistently high, due to the good quality teaching of phonics (the sounds letters make) to the younger pupils.
- Particular strengths highlighted in the report are achievement in phonics in Key Stage 1, and in reading and mathematics in Key Stage 2. Disabled pupils and those with special educational needs make good progress. Strong links with the local church help support the school ethos.
- Pupils are well prepared for secondary education when they leave.
- Behaviour is good and pupils feel safe at school. Pupils are willing to help each other learn and behave courteously towards each other and to adults
- The school has a strong Christian ethos, which promotes care and consideration for all.
- Governors have a good knowledge of the school and provide appropriate guidance and challenge.
The teaching staff and governing body welcomed the report and the suggestions for how to take the school from good to outstanding and have already implemented some changes to address these aspects:
- Focus on even better recording and analysis of information to continually focus on improving attainment and achievement of all pupils in the school and address their different needs.
- Continue the rigorous monitoring of teaching standards across the school and sharing best practice within the school and within the local cluster group.
- Implemented suggested changes to further improve safety within the school setting.
- Focus on writing as an opportunity for improvement across the school to bring it in line with the strong achievement in maths and reading.
Full details can be found on the Ofsted website here: http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/110024